Tag Archives: VST

New Ambisonis Plugins

a7Compressor

I’ve released a set of Ambisonics plugins over on my main website that you might want to check out: https://spatialaudio.xyz

The set includes first-, third- and seventh-order versions of the following plugins:

  • aXPanner – Ambisonics encoder
  • aXRotate – Ambisonics sound field rotation
  • aXMonitor – Ambisonics decoder to binaural and stereo
  • aXCompressor – A compressor that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
  • aXGate – A noise gate and downwards expander that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
  • aXEqualizer – An EQ that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
  • aXDelay – A delay plugin with 5 modules that lets you place the delayed signals wherever you want in the 3D sound field.

There are EDU and bulk discounts available if you get in touch!

Advertisements

New Ambisonics Plugin!

I’ve just released a new first-order Ambisonic panner over on my new website. It’s absolutely free and you can read more about it here.

Sometimes coding is just so… ugh…

I’ve been updating my Ambisonics decoder and it was all going swimmingly until I put in the near field compensation (NFC) filters. I’d changed the implementation from that used in the B-format encoder to something that should have been more efficient. It is. However, it also gives me a load of noisy garbage along with the filtered sound. Not good.

After a quick inspection I can’t see what’s wrong with it but the whole code has become a bit messy in the upgrade from the previous version so I’ll maybe have to cut my losses and start afresh. That way I’ll hopefully avoid any problems and can fix whatever has gone wrong with my current implementation. It’s probably something really stupid that I’ve done but it’s so frustrating.

The worst thing is that I don’t have the time to work on it. I’ve a whole bunch of other things to be getting on with that debugging code isn’t at the top of my to-do list. Annoyingly, until I get the time to work on it and fix it, I’ll have this nagging away at the back of my mind.

Anyway, I’d best get back to looking for the problem.

B-Format Encoder Update

I’ve updated the B-format encoder. The first change was to make the GUI a bit lighter so the text is easier to read. The second change was more serious. There was a memory leak that was causing a build up in the RAM over time and, if used for long enough, a crash. This is now fixed and it seems to be working stably.

I’ll be spending this weekend updating the code for the decoding plugin. I doubt I’ll have the time to make a GUI but if I can get the code and a usable GUI ready then I’ll be sure to post them.

Continue reading

Updated UHJ Encoder/Transcoder VST (free!)

UHJ interface

I’ve updated my UHJ encoder and I’m making it available for people for free. It’s still an alpha-version so I can’t guarantee it’ll be without glitches but I’ve not had any problem on my systems yet.

It’s available as 32bit Windows and Mac versions.

Continue reading

The joys of coding…

I spent the whole day looking for an error that caused intermittent compatibility problems with Sonar X1 Producer and, even though it’s now fixed, I’m still not really sure what was causing the problem… It seemed to be something about how the plugin was reporting its name to the host. The weird thing is that the error in Sonar was related to “receiveVstTimeInfo” and I didn’t end up changing that dealt with the time information.

Anyway, live and learn… or, live and do without learning…

So now that I’ve done the alpha version of the encoder it’s probably time I should tackle the decoder. There are already changes I want to make to the encoder but I’m going to wait and see what other feedback so I can make all the changes at once.

I’m not looking forward to the decoder because I’ll probably have to scrap my previous version and start again from scratch. It’s hard to know how to structure it, what features to include and what to leave out. I’ll probably spend a while thinking about it before I just into it.

As always, suggestions are welcome!

B-Format Encoder (alpha version) Available!

I’ve finished the alpha version of my updated B-format encoder. I’ve already got a list of changes I want to make but I guess that’s the nature of an alpha version of any piece of software.

This VST is made freely available but I make no guarantees it’ll work with every system (though I hope it does!). If you have a problem with it then please contact me.

Continue reading