I’ve released a set of Ambisonics plugins over on my main website that you might want to check out: https://spatialaudio.xyz
The set includes first-, third- and seventh-order versions of the following plugins:
- aXPanner – Ambisonics encoder
- aXRotate – Ambisonics sound field rotation
- aXMonitor – Ambisonics decoder to binaural and stereo
- aXCompressor – A compressor that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
- aXGate – A noise gate and downwards expander that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
- aXEqualizer – An EQ that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
- aXDelay – A delay plugin with 5 modules that lets you place the delayed signals wherever you want in the 3D sound field.
There are EDU and bulk discounts available if you get in touch!
I’ve updated the B-format encoder. The first change was to make the GUI a bit lighter so the text is easier to read. The second change was more serious. There was a memory leak that was causing a build up in the RAM over time and, if used for long enough, a crash. This is now fixed and it seems to be working stably.
I’ll be spending this weekend updating the code for the decoding plugin. I doubt I’ll have the time to make a GUI but if I can get the code and a usable GUI ready then I’ll be sure to post them.
I’ve updated my UHJ encoder and I’m making it available for people for free. It’s still an alpha-version so I can’t guarantee it’ll be without glitches but I’ve not had any problem on my systems yet.
It’s available as 32bit Windows and Mac versions.
I spent the whole day looking for an error that caused intermittent compatibility problems with Sonar X1 Producer and, even though it’s now fixed, I’m still not really sure what was causing the problem… It seemed to be something about how the plugin was reporting its name to the host. The weird thing is that the error in Sonar was related to “receiveVstTimeInfo” and I didn’t end up changing that dealt with the time information.
Anyway, live and learn… or, live and do without learning…
So now that I’ve done the alpha version of the encoder it’s probably time I should tackle the decoder. There are already changes I want to make to the encoder but I’m going to wait and see what other feedback so I can make all the changes at once.
I’m not looking forward to the decoder because I’ll probably have to scrap my previous version and start again from scratch. It’s hard to know how to structure it, what features to include and what to leave out. I’ll probably spend a while thinking about it before I just into it.
As always, suggestions are welcome!
So, as I posted early last month (here), I’ve been working on some VST plugins for Higher Order Ambisonics. This included a B-format encoder for up to 5th order and a corresponding decoder for up to 48 loudspeakers. I’ve also done a UHJ encoder that’s currently under a bit of beta testing and is getting added height information and GUI redesign.
This post is mostly to get my head round what I’m going to include in the next version of the B-format encoder (the first one I’ll be making public). It could be a long, rambling post but I’ll try to keep it as coherent as possible!