I’ve released a set of Ambisonics plugins over on my main website that you might want to check out: https://spatialaudio.xyz
The set includes first-, third- and seventh-order versions of the following plugins:
- aXPanner – Ambisonics encoder
- aXRotate – Ambisonics sound field rotation
- aXMonitor – Ambisonics decoder to binaural and stereo
- aXCompressor – A compressor that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
- aXGate – A noise gate and downwards expander that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
- aXEqualizer – An EQ that preserves the delicate spatial relationship in the Ambisonics signals.
- aXDelay – A delay plugin with 5 modules that lets you place the delayed signals wherever you want in the 3D sound field.
There are EDU and bulk discounts available if you get in touch!
I’ve just released a new first-order Ambisonic panner over on my new website. It’s absolutely free and you can read more about it here.
I’ve finished a new plugin! It’s very simple but was made in the spirit of experimentation.
User interface for stereo near field correction plugin
If you read yesterday’s post then you can get an overview of what it does.
In short: it compensates for the proximity effect when sitting a short distance from your loudspeakers. This is fairly standard practice in Ambisonics and was proposed by Michael Gerzon (the godfather of Ambisonics) for stereo listening. It’s primarily useful when you’ve got phase differences in your signal between the two loudspeakers.
This is the first plugin I’ve done a 64bit version of so I hope it works. In fact, I was using this simple plugin simply as an excuse to try out a new way of doing the GUI and compiling a 64bit version.
It’s working fine on my Windows and Mac systems but if it doesn’t work on yours then let me know. I’ve tested it with Reaper (32/64bit on Mac & Windows) and SONAR X2 (64bit Windows).
It’s available in both 32 and 64bit versions for both Mac and Windows.
You can download all of the different version here.
I’d be very interesting in hearing back from people if they think it’s worth taking into account if it’s one of those things that’s fine in theory but can be safely ignored in practice.
If you’re finding use for my VST plugins and would like to donate to give me further incentive to keep working on them then it’d be warmly welcomed.
So we’re only at March and I think I’ve already let my “update this blog at least one every 2 weeks” target slip… Oh well, I’ll have to try harder!
I’ve been busy working on a conference paper with the main conclusions of my listening experiment. It’s limited it 6 pages in length and it’s actually quite hard to fit everything into that sort of space.
SARCoder – Ambisonic Decoder
I’m going to try get working on the decoder VST again. It’s really stalled and I need to get back to it – there’s not much point having two encoder VSTs without a decoder (although there are others out there). The first version I get released will probably be pretty basic but once I can get it into a good form I’ll be able to add new features more easily.
There’s not been much in the way of news about the VST plugins recently so I thought I’d post a quick update. I’ll make my excuses and then say what I’ve been working on.
First comes the excuse. I’ve been busy. I know it sucks as an excuse. The problem is that the VSTs are a side-project for me that can be useful for my PhD but when they’re not they have to go on the back burner. Unfortunately I’ve been very busy designing an experiment involving Ambisonics to work much on the VSTs.
But aside from that I should give a quick update of what’s to come. My plan is to release an Ambisonic decoder to go with the two encoders. It’ll allow loudspeaker position selection, choice of listening options (with 1 or 2 bands with user selected crossover frequency) like Basic, Max rE and in-phase, up to 5-the order decoding, stereo bounce down, near field compensation and selection of the spherical harmonic weights used (eg N2D, SN3D etc.).
I’m sorry about the delay but I’ll try my best to make available as soon as possible. If I’ve missed any essential features then let me know d I can try to work them in. Until then, if anyone is dying format decoder, you can send me an email and I can send you a copy of my old decoder. It’s basic and a bit cumbersome but does the job.
Posted in Ambisonics, VST
I’ve updated the B-format encoder. The first change was to make the GUI a bit lighter so the text is easier to read. The second change was more serious. There was a memory leak that was causing a build up in the RAM over time and, if used for long enough, a crash. This is now fixed and it seems to be working stably.
I’ll be spending this weekend updating the code for the decoding plugin. I doubt I’ll have the time to make a GUI but if I can get the code and a usable GUI ready then I’ll be sure to post them.
I decided to upgrade to Windows 8 because… well, mostly I was curious.
I’ve not had much time to play with it yet but it looks pretty good. It’s fast, seems stable and (to my surprise) the Modern UI is actually quite nice. I’m in the process of finding some good news apps and a couple of more lighthearted ones.
Some time later this week I’ll have to get Visual C++ installed so I can get back to coding. Until then I’ll not be doing any VST work, except for maybe a little on Mac for an experiment I’m designing. I’ve plenty of other stuff to do anyway so the VSTs might have to wait. I’d not had any complaints yet anyway.
Time will tell if upgrading to Windows 8 was folly for audio and coding work. So far it’s looking pretty positive.
Posted in Coding, VST
Tagged Windows 8