I decided to upgrade to Windows 8 because… well, mostly I was curious.
I’ve not had much time to play with it yet but it looks pretty good. It’s fast, seems stable and (to my surprise) the Modern UI is actually quite nice. I’m in the process of finding some good news apps and a couple of more lighthearted ones.
Some time later this week I’ll have to get Visual C++ installed so I can get back to coding. Until then I’ll not be doing any VST work, except for maybe a little on Mac for an experiment I’m designing. I’ve plenty of other stuff to do anyway so the VSTs might have to wait. I’d not had any complaints yet anyway.
Time will tell if upgrading to Windows 8 was folly for audio and coding work. So far it’s looking pretty positive.
Posted in Coding, VST
Tagged Windows 8
I’ve updated my UHJ encoder and I’m making it available for people for free. It’s still an alpha-version so I can’t guarantee it’ll be without glitches but I’ve not had any problem on my systems yet.
It’s available as 32bit Windows and Mac versions.
I spent the whole day looking for an error that caused intermittent compatibility problems with Sonar X1 Producer and, even though it’s now fixed, I’m still not really sure what was causing the problem… It seemed to be something about how the plugin was reporting its name to the host. The weird thing is that the error in Sonar was related to “receiveVstTimeInfo” and I didn’t end up changing that dealt with the time information.
Anyway, live and learn… or, live and do without learning…
So now that I’ve done the alpha version of the encoder it’s probably time I should tackle the decoder. There are already changes I want to make to the encoder but I’m going to wait and see what other feedback so I can make all the changes at once.
I’m not looking forward to the decoder because I’ll probably have to scrap my previous version and start again from scratch. It’s hard to know how to structure it, what features to include and what to leave out. I’ll probably spend a while thinking about it before I just into it.
As always, suggestions are welcome!
I’ve finished the alpha version of my updated B-format encoder. I’ve already got a list of changes I want to make but I guess that’s the nature of an alpha version of any piece of software.
This VST is made freely available but I make no guarantees it’ll work with every system (though I hope it does!). If you have a problem with it then please contact me.
First draft of new B-format encoder GUI
I’m going to take a very quick break from coding to post this. It’s the initial design for the B-format encoder GUI that I’m working on. Right now I’m just getting it coded up and hopefully it’ll be available for alpha testing in the next couple of days.
Click on the image to make it larger.
If anyone has any suggestions on changes or improvements that can be made then I’ll be glad to hear them. Just leave a comment or send me an email.
I’ve been posting demos of songs I’ve been working on with the intention of recording them into an album. I’ve been waiting to get my new electro-acoustic guitar before I started. Well, it’s finally arrived and once it’s adjustment/set-up at the guitar shop (hopefully today, maybe tomorrow) I can start recording with it.
So that means I have to start looking at the nine demos I’ve recorded (and the one or two other songs I’ve finished but not fully demo’d) and see how I can make them fit together as a cohesive whole.
Bruce Wiggins has expanded his set of Ambisonics VSTs to include up to 3rd order. They’re well worth checking out – there’s a reason they’re one of the most popular Ambisonic plugins!
I’d the pleasure to meet him at the 2012 Ambisonics Symposium/AES conference. He’s a nice guy and presents a great workshop on how to use Ambisonics with Reaper (which is by far the easiest way, IMO).